My sneakers were soaked by the time I made it back to the subway. (And my bag was a few ounces heavier after the purchase of a Chinese propaganda film called Troubled Laughter). I made it back to my apartment, got cozy in my bed, and watched All About Eve, which I had never seen.
Then I woke up and walked to work, which was quite an adventure. I thought I could just take my usual route, but most of it was neither plowed nor shoveled. Everyone was just tromping through, making deep footsteps, and looking confused and zombie-like. It was fun.
Since I can walk to work, and I live near both the N and R (which were running decently by the time I needed them), I didn't feel the inconvenience as much as others might have. But I have to agree that the boroughs really got short shrift. For example:
It took them forever to plow my block, and even now, it will be difficult for many of the cars to get out without doing some major shoveling on the street itself. The trains and buses were so delayed on Monday that one of my co-workers began his journey to the museum at 5:30 in the morning and didn't arrive until 1 in the afternoon. While I know a blizzard is a rare occurrence, we did have fair warning and you'd think the city could respond in a better fashion. Didn't Bloomberg learn anything from Lindsay's Snowstorm?


Sounds like you had fun! Truthfully, I'm a little sad to have missed the snow. I love the picture of the neon sign.
ReplyDelete